Friday, August 9, 2024

I Am Harald Hardrada the "MERCILESS"

"I Am Harald Hardrada the 'Merciless' and the throne of England will be mine! Since the age of 15, I have fought and killed for my rights."Those who oppose me I crush without hesitation or compassion."
"As Harald III King of Norway it is my right to claim the true kingship of England that was freely offered me by Tostig Godwinson, rightful Earl of Northumberland."
"Today I sail with 300 longboats and 10,000 battle-hardened 'Viking' warriors to take York and march on London to crush the usurper Harold Godwinson false King of England." "1066, will be long remembered as the greatest day of the Norsemen when I unite once and for all the lands of the North and England into one unconquerable kingdom." "Now to WAR!"
Unfortunately for Harald his initial victory at the Battle of Fulford, 20 Sept. 1066, was quicky followed by his overwhelming defeat, and death of both himself and Tostig, at the Battle of Samford Bridge, 25 Sept. 1066. The victor, King Harold Godwinson, would himself die at the Battle of Hastings, 14 Oct. 1066 at the hands of the forces of William, Duke of Normandy-"land of the Norsemen" (future King William I "the Conqueror" of England). With Harald's death, the age of the "Viking" onslaughts and power in Northern Europe came to an end.

Harald is a plastic piece I painted in July.

No comments:

Post a Comment